Agricultural Automation Engineering
Agricultural Automation Engineering scientists work to provide engineering solutions to crop production problems in agriculture. From seed to table, our researchers collaborate with the growers, harvesters, and food processors plus the industry that supports them to develop new technologies for the economic growth and environmental sustainability of agriculture.
Current primary research activities include the development of wireless sensor networks for real-time yield monitoring and tracking of fruit; remote and contact sensing of soils and plants; automated and targeted pest management systems; vegetable and fruit post harvest handling; smart and/or robotic agricultural machinery; on-machinery crop sensing and control systems; and sensor-based field operation management.
The Center for Precision Agriculture has additional information.
Ag Automation Engineering In the News
IEEE MetroAgriFor 2020 – Conference Award for Best Paper Presented by a Young Researcher
November 09, 2020 | IEEE MetroAgriFor 2020
Best Paper Presented by a Young Researcher – The IEEE MetroAgriFor 2020 announces the Conference Award to the research group, Rakesh Ranjan, Rajeev Sinha, Lav R. Khot, R. Troy Peters, Melba R. Salazar-Gutierrez, all from Washington State University, USA. This was awarded to the group for the paper titled “Internet of Things enabled crop physiology sensing system for abiotic crop stress management in apple and sweet cherry”.
The selection of this paper was based on technical merit, originality, potential impact on the field, clarity of … » More …Read Story
- Robotic crop pollination awarded $1 million grant
- Satellites show promise as tool for monitoring crop development
- Spray, without the sprayer – Taking air out of the equation
- Adding Washington State to the California-Dutch AgFoodTech
- Who are you going to call? Rotbusters!
- New global fellowship program grows discoveries, partnerships in ag research
- WSU’s Ag Tech Day – 1:30-6:00 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 22, in Prosser, Washington.
- Precision pruning can help machines safely, efficiently harvest apples
- Satellites and Drones Search for Better Wheat Varieties to Feed the World
- Artificial intelligence and precision farming: does efficiency mean sustainability?
- Western Innovator: From Nepal to Robotic Pioneer
- 2019 ASABE Superior Paper Award – Congratulations!
- Spray Researchers Aim to Catch Their Drift
- BSE Graduate Students win Best Graduate Poster Award at the 2019 BioAg Symposium
- Researcher finds alternatives to pesticides
- Online publication labels professor as AI trailblazer
- Lav Khot Named New Innovator in Food and Agriculture
- BSE Faculty Manoj Karkee Named 2019 Pioneer in AI and IoT
- Agricultural robots combine future, farming practices
- WSU, Australian scientists partner to form Joint Center for Ag Robotics