Agricultural Automation Engineering
Agricultural Automation Engineering scientists work to provide engineering solutions to crop production problems in agriculture. From seed to table, our researchers collaborate with the growers, harvesters, and food processors plus the industry that supports them to develop new technologies for the economic growth and environmental sustainability of agriculture.
Current primary research activities include the development of wireless sensor networks for real-time yield monitoring and tracking of fruit; remote and contact sensing of soils and plants; automated and targeted pest management systems; vegetable and fruit post harvest handling; smart and/or robotic agricultural machinery; on-machinery crop sensing and control systems; and sensor-based field operation management.
The Center for Precision Agriculture has additional information.
Ag Automation Engineering In the News
WSU’s Ag Tech Day – 1:30-6:00 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 22, in Prosser, Washington.
August 13, 2019 | WSU Insider
Experts from WSU, the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries, Microsoft FarmBeats and ASI Robots will share updates on cutting-edge agricultural advances with growers, agricultural industry professionals, and crop consultants.
This year’s event explores the theme of automation in specialty crop production, and includes field demonstrations and discussions of digital agriculture solutions, automation in farm operations, robotics in specialty crops, intelligent orchard sprayers, a survey of autonomy on the farm, and regulations on the use … » More …Read Story
- Precision pruning can help machines safely, efficiently harvest apples
- Satellites and Drones Search for Better Wheat Varieties to Feed the World
- Artificial intelligence and precision farming: does efficiency mean sustainability?
- Western Innovator: From Nepal to Robotic Pioneer
- 2019 ASABE Superior Paper Award – Congratulations!
- Spray Researchers Aim to Catch Their Drift
- BSE Graduate Students win Best Graduate Poster Award at the 2019 BioAg Symposium
- Researcher finds alternatives to pesticides
- Online publication labels professor as AI trailblazer
- Lav Khot Named New Innovator in Food and Agriculture
- BSE Faculty Manoj Karkee Named 2019 Pioneer in AI and IoT
- Agricultural robots combine future, farming practices
- WSU, Australian scientists partner to form Joint Center for Ag Robotics
- BSE Faculty Receive USDA-NIFA Funding to Study Water Use
- BSE Faculty Receive 2018 WSDA Specialty Crop Block Grant Awards
- WSU’s apple picking machine provides potential for future orchard operations
- BSE Faculty and Students Attend ASABE 2018 – Student Wins First Place Award
- Using UAS technology in irrigated agriculture
- WSU Faculty, Dr. Lav Khot, Presents at 2017 APS Annual Meeting in San Antonio
- Washington State Professor Finds Sky-high Opportunities for Drones in Agriculture