Non-Paid Personnel via Canvas
Safety Training and Orientation for all Biological Systems Engineering
Non-Paid Personnel via Canvas
(Students with Fulbright or government scholarships, visiting faculty, visiting scholars, and volunteers)
Chair’s Safety Memo 9/15/2019 – New Safety Training for all Biological Systems Engineering Personnel
Safe conditions and procedures in our laboratories, classrooms, and offices are paramount for our students, faculty, staff, visitors, and volunteers in Biological Systems Engineering. All personnel are required to complete the below online safety training courses at a minimum. Individual research groups, operating procedures, or locations may have additional training requirements to account for additional hazards you will encounter. If at any time you do not feel you have received the appropriate training, or have suggestions for additional training to be included below please reach out to someone on the BSE Safety Committee.
Non-Paid personnel (students with Fulbright or government scholarships, visiting faculty, visiting scholars, and volunteers) that do not have access to the Human Resource Services training courses have to access the training through the Canvas Learning Management System.
After completing the required training:
- Provide training transcripts, certificates, checklists and the below training verification for your research group to your supervisor and have them verify that you have completed the required training by signing the verification form.
- Make two additional copies of the items above and give the original signed copy to the BSE main office, give one copy to your supervisor, and keep the final copy for your records.
Please refer to the below supervisor safety training verification checklists below to find the training specific to your research group.
- Agricultural Automation Research Groups (Karkee, Khot, Sankaran, Zhang)
- BSEL Research Groups (Ahring, Lei, Yang)
- Food Engineering Research Groups (Barbosa, Sablani, Tang)
- Chen Research Group
- Garcia-Perez Research Group
- Ndegwa ResearchGroup
- All other research groups not specifically listed above
Personnel are responsible for adhering to and being familiar with all WSU policies, procedures, plans, and guidelines prior to attending the New Employee Safety Orientation Training that you will receive from your supervisor. Please let your supervisor know after you have reviewed all the following materials and are ready to schedule the safety orientation training with them. A partial list of policies is below:
General policies for all personnel:
- Business Policies and Procedures Manual (BPPM)
- Executive Policy Manual (EP)
- Safety Policies and Procedures Manual (SPPM)
- Policy Prohibiting Discrimination and Sexual Harassment (EP 15)
- Workplace Violence Policy (BPPM 50.30.1)
- Alcohol and Drug Policy (EP 20)
- Bullying Prevention and Reporting Policy (BPPM 50.31)
- Use of University Resources (BPPM 20.35) and (BPPM 20.37)
- Electronic Use Policy (computer resources) (EP 4)
- Review the State Ethics Law (ethics.wa.gov)
- Employee Assistance Program (BPPM 60.86)
- Public Records | Release of Public Records (BPPM 90.05)
- Accident Prevention Responsibility (SPPM 20.00)
- College of Agriculture, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences (CAHNRS) Accident Prevention Program.
- Campus safety reminders and resources
Laboratory specific policies and procedures:
- Laboratory Safety (SPPM 4.00) and Laboratory Safety Manual
- Laboratory Self-Assessment
- Laboratory Notebook Guidelines
- BSE Chemical Hygiene Plan
- Research Group Biological Safety Manual (request from supervisor)
- Waste Management Guide
- Commitment to Safety
If you have not yet attended New Employee Orientation, please attend the next available class in person, or watch it via WSU Online Training if you have access.
If you are a graduate student, and were not able to attend the Graduate School Orientation you can view it at: https://gradschool.wsu.edu/orientation/.